About Me

My photo
I am what I write and I write how I feel.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Farewell AltaMed


Saying "goodbye" is always a struggle for me and though I worked in several places, juggling numerous duties at one time, it saddens me knowing that soon it will all come to an end. It doesn't take long to adjust to a new surrounding filled with unfamiliar faces. Soon...it becomes routine. I know where I'm going, what I'm doing, placing a name to a face as I move along. I start making friends and building a bond that hopefully will last no matter where I am in the world.

Here at AltaMed on my last day, I remember my first day: Halloween 2006.

It was an interesting experience to say the least, meeting everyone dressed in costumes: a pirate, a nun, a devil, and of course a lioness just to name a few. A different language, an unknown environment, and I'm playing the outcast. The only one without a costume and I'm the one who stuck out the most. How will I ever fit in?

I had no keys, no parking permit, no pass, no access to even email and there I was with only a badge to show that, "Yes, I am an employee."

I was stationed at a clinic that cared for predominantly Spanish-speaking patients, stuck in a closet-sized office with below-freezing temperatures. Since I couldn't speak an inkling of Spanish (but apparently I look like I'm Latina), I felt useless. Too cold to sit still, I roamed the halls finding things to do. I took things with a grain of salt, knowing that I can't just give up because I feel uncomfortable. I had to roll with the punches and trust me, there were plenty.

As the weeks and months rolled by, I started thinking, "If I can't work with what I've got then why not change what doesn't work?" So, that's exactly what I did. I started cleaning house and writing protocols so that any future newbies won't feel as lost as I was.

Finally, at the beginning of the new year they moved me to a new location: Indiana (an old school house made entirely out of brick). Although the possibility of it being haunted was a little eerie, it had a warmer feel to it. I had a cubicle to call my own, and after a quick paint job and a few little add-ons it became my "home away from home."

I have made wonderful friends along my journey and know in my heart that the one thing I will miss the most is seeing them every day.

I write this, excited about where I'm going next, what I'll be doing there, and who I'll be meeting. I write this, saddened by the fact that I'm leaving what at first intimidated me, and proud that I didn't quit before I started. I kept at it until there really was nothing more I needed to do. I will leave knowing I did my part.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Myrnelle,
It was really great working with you on the RTA and you will definitely be missed. Congratulations on your new opportunity and all the best.

All the best,
Jacqueline

Anonymous said...

Myrnelle, congratulation on your new position... wish you the very best at all times.
It was great having you at AltaMed.

Yolanda Salinas

Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss you as I miss you already since I haven't seen you since I transferred to TA. I think you were one of the best in the Prevention program. And I appreciated your tenacity and professionalism. Thanks for venting with me time and time again about our challenges. Good luck with everything in your life and I hope we can keep in touch.


Fanny Garcia

Anonymous said...

WHAT??????? YOUR LEAVING!!!! YOU WILL BE MISSED! GOOD LUCK ON THIS NEW OPPORTUNITY AND I HOPE TO SEE YOU AROUND.

GIVE ME A CALL!

TAKE CARE
ANDREA SNOWNEY

Anonymous said...

Dear Myrnelle:
It is sad to see you leaving AltaMed, however, I am glad you are pursuing your goals. I wish you the best in your new position. Life is full of crossroads and I am sure we will meet again, some time, somewhere.

Best regards.



Francisco J. Valdés, B.A.

Anonymous said...

I wish you the best of luck we will miss you.

Phil

Anonymous said...

if you ever felt unappreciated, just wait til 1pm.
u and i, we are alike, even though we say crap about the powers that be here at altamed, we don't really need to have a pat on the back, we just do what we gotta do.
i don't want to write too much but later on u can read what i had written 2 u.
just keep your panties on, we will liven up at 1pm.
one thing i do want to leave with u- even though u don't care, maura always spoke highly of u and i know u have ur own thoughts on that, but she just has a different way of expressing herself. trust me, i know, cause i get it just like anyone else, and i think she just tries to keep the "good" ones on their feet.
i know she is going to miss u as well and she feels nobody can replace ur shoes here. just wanted to let u know that..............-Jesse

Anonymous said...

OMG Myrnelle, You forgot the scarf for Xmas....LOL.. Woman, I am going to miss you! You are so awesome and smart & a beautiful pinay. I am so happy for you because you deserve it. I'll never forgot my first positive and how supportive and professional you were. Thank you for keeping the on department on track. Well girlie, please keep in touch..we should definitely get together for drink or hang out sometime, k Myrnelle darling. Best to you and good luck at AHF.
XOXO,
Susana

Anonymous said...

Goodmorning beautiful. Just wanted to say good luck mama and I will miss you. Besos. -Jaime